Sunday 4 August 2013

L Is For...

Here I am four days into year 45 on the planet. Birthday number 44 seemed to whizz by in a blur despite having a day-off-morphing-into-a-long-weekend, albeit 24 hours after my big day. For a Leo birthday, I have to admit that it has been little less lush and a little more laid-back than usual.

But I've managed to capture myself a few luscious moments along the way.

The night of said big day, after a frantically busy day at work, I logged off and headed into town. It was a hot and humid tube trip in and after picking up my theatre ticket, I decided to pop in to Cote for a quick bite to eat and, in a moment of too-bloody-hot-for-wine, a refreshing glass of cloudy lemonade


Replete with a delicious vichyssoise and ratatouille vegetables in puff pastry, I was soon ensconced in my seat at the Duchess Theatre. Courtesy of lastminute.com, I had scored a cheap ticket to see the play Fences starring Lenny Henry. In short, the play was fantastic and Henry was awesome.


It was late by the time I got home but fave flick Top Gun had just started (who could ever lose their Lovin' Feelin' with that volleyball scene on the box *sigh*) and there was still an hour left of the birthday Day to open some presents. 

I got some lambswool...


...and something with which to further my baking exploits (I've always loved licking the bowl).


As with all birthdays, it is a requirement that one brings cakes into the office for others to scoff and I decided that my new mixer would best be christened by whipping up a batch of great Aussie favourite, lamingtons. These are squares of light fluffy sponge cake dipped in chocolate and rolled in coconut. So after a lie-in and a morning frappe at local café La Barista yesterday, I embarked on step one - baking the sponge . 

They turned out less light and fluffy...


...and more like sponges of the dish-washing kind. Clearly I need to master the new mixer.

So instead I've made Lemon Drizzle Cake...


...and some white chocolate brownies for the Great Office Scoff.

There's been some lazing about in the sun in between times - reading the paper and excellent magazine, Intelligent Life which always deserves some time to peruse at a leisurely pace. And finally I'll be topping off my big birthday bonanza tonight with my regular Sunday night dip into the lives of the Lancastrians and Yorkists with the BBC's The White Queen.

So that peeps was my lusciously long and lazy-ish birthday weekend...only 361 sleeps until the next one.

No comments: