Sunday 4 July 2010

28 Sleeps To Go...Allegiances

I just watched Rafael Nadal pretty much demolish Tomas Berdych to win the Wimbledon Mens Final and Spain is through to the next round of the World Cup...tha last time I thought Spain was this prolific in the sporting world was when Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario and Conchita Martinez were on the tennis circuit...

Coming from a nation who has some history of sporting success I am now wondering what happened with Leyton Hewitt (I am sure he was still doing ok?), Australian cricket (the world's most boring game though it may be) and Harry Kewell (red-carded in the Ghana game...what the #@!!?!).  Are we regrouping in preparation for London 2012 or just a little tired of the sporting limelight? 

It's a convoluted web determining loyalties when your automatic allegiances are not an option...so I am now torn between Germany (money on them in the sweep at work) and Holland (heritage thing you know) to reign supreme at the World Cup. 

Other than that, it another sunny Sunday afternoon here on Kingston Hill.  A bit breezier than others of late but still managing to dapple my front path with light and dark and light again.  What's not to love about that?

A GENTLE REMINDER:
There are only 28 sleeps to go...so get yourself a pen and mark that first day of August on your calendars, in your diaries and tap-tap-tap it into your phones and computers.  I wouldn't want you to miss it...

1 comment:

ML Awanohara said...

Thank you for writing so eloquently about how complicated these sporting matters can become for us long-term expats--and let me tell you, it gets even worse when you try to go home again. For instance, I find myself giddily happy that Europe is dominating the World Cup--even though this is the first World Cup that I've paid much attention to (didn't pay any attention at all when living in the UK). As to whether it's Spain or Holland or Germany, I can't decide (though for heritage reasons, as you say, it should be Germany). I simply know I don't want it to be Uruguay. I abhored the way Luis Suarez hand blocked the Ghanaian goal in the last second.

As for tennis, I could not be bothered getting up early yesterday to watch Serena Williams take yet another victory. And today, when watching the men's finals, I suppose it crossed my mind that American players aren't at the top any more, esp as John McEnroe is one of the commentators, but I didn't let it perturb me. I mainly wanted to see Rafa and the new talent play from the Czech Republic. I was only sorry it had to be so one sided. And I have to say, I loved the way Berdych told the Wimbo crowd: "He is so good. He deserves to win today." I wish I could make him the poster child for losing graciously. Something of a lost art the world over!