Friday 29 July 2011

After The Dance...3 Sleeps To Go

Today is Day 1 of my pre-birthday long weekend (only 3 sleeps to go peeps...isn't it exciting?!) and while I've been out and about today and have some rather magnificent plans for the rest of the time, I wanted to tell you about an unexpected treat I discovered on telly last night.

I am, by nature, a night owl and would happily stay up til all hours but with my 2 hour each way commute at the moment, I am fairly disciplined about getting myself to bed by 11 each night (and that's an hour later than what's known in these parts as Surrey Bedtime) so that I am spritely enough to get myself out the door in an efficient 30mins each morning.  But on holiday, all bets are off and last night I trawled the channels to see what late night movie I might like to partake of.

I came across 'After The Dance', a 1992 TV adaption of the play written by Terence Rattigan in the 1930's.


It's one of those kinds of plays I loved seeing when I frequented the MTC's program in Melbourne - a little Noel-Cowardish in style with the action all taking place in one room (or within earshot of said room). It's crammed full of gorgeous language, crisp banter and subtle innuendo all the while covering the fragile egos and unspoken political agendas surrounding the era.  Anyway, this film for TV adaption had been made in 1992 by the BBC and re-kindled a whole rash of revivals in the West End in the years to come.

It's a little slower to get into than modern films but once I settled into listening to and watching for the subtleties, the intrigue crept slowly into the room and curled its wicked fingers - in the form of Helen Banner - through the fabric of David and Joan Scott-Fowler's 15 year marriage. A small ensemble cast added colourful layers but Rattigan makes a stinging comparison between the 'Bright Young Things' of the 20's and the serious 'new generation' facing a society crushed by the onset of World War II.

Frivolous. Sad. Thought-provoking.

I LOVED IT!

And despite this being an adaption for TV, After The Dance made me realise that I'd forgotten how much I enjoy theatre...so I'm off to scour the internet for some super-dooper deals!

In the meantime, land is definitely in sight and the SS 41 is cruising comfortably towards its mooring...

No comments: