Saturday 12 December 2009

13 Festive Sleeps To Go...Gratitude

I opened up my blog today not knowing what I was going to write.  Sometimes it happens like this and today it meant that instead of rushing in knowing exactly what was there to be said, I took some time to read some of the other blogs I follow.

Earlier in the year, a friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer.  She weathered an array of aggressive treatments and has spent the last 5 months in India, giving herself the space to heal.  She only started blogging again recently and I read today that she has come home to Paris and it reminded me how much I love my little maisonette flat tucked away up here on Kingston Hill.  My sanctuary, where I can either invite the world in or take a brief respite from the little battles life presents on a daily basis.

Her words reminded me what there is to be grateful for and straight away it brought up some of the little pieces of news from family that have made my heart swell over the last week or so - like when my little sister was honoured as a life member of the NDSOC car club and I cried on the bus going to work reading how stunned and touched she was - or when my Mum's partner got the all clear after being rushed into hospital with an aggressive form of melanoma. Or the regular newsletter from my itinerant Dad-and-Stepmum chronicling their latest travels through Western Australia over the last few weeks and reminding us all that they having been living this gypsy dream of theirs for 3 years.  Or when when I sat with my partner, his ex and his son, cheering and clapping furiously at his daughter's end of year Christmas Dinner Concert last Saturday...

What a couple of weeks it has been.

So my brave, brave friend, in the midst of her journey, wrote her blog...and without even knowing it, became the inspiration for mine...

3 comments:

Chloe said...

Sometimes as a Mum, tiny moments in life touch your soul and you just simply cry. Then, you're okay again. I've just had such a moment. I was reading Kym's blog and her comment about her little flat up on Kingston Hill- her "sanctuary"- so touched my heart. I was reminded of the shockly difficult time she went through on arrival in her new country and of the thousands of tears cried on both ends of the phone with the pain of betrayal on one end and the parental ache of not having the means to ease this on the other. I saw in an instant, the road Kym has travelled from Cairns in the far North, to Melbourne in the far South of her homeland, across to the other side of the world and the emotional & physical rollercoaster ride that has delivered her to the place she now stands at: introspective, caring, loving and at peace with life. I am reminded that it's not such a bad place to be. What courage and belief in one's self and in others it has taken. My favourite quote sprang to mind "If I have seen further than others, perhaps it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants". This always reminds me of just what incredible parents I was blessed with and right now, I ask myself with all humility, how much of a giant I have been for my girls?

Unknown said...

Huge Mum huge....love you always xx

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.