Saturday 5 March 2011

Narcissism? Let Me Check My Blog Stats...

It would appear that I am not alone in pondering the navel-gazing nature of blogging... please give a huge Gidday From The UK welcome to my special guest, author Nancy Stewart, who's been giving narcissism a little thought herself!

----------------------------

I’ve been thinking lots about narcissism and blogging and attention to one’s web site. Is that the very definition of narcissism? Maybe.

Picture books are a passion of mine, and I’ve been writing them for five years. My first one in a series of three, One Pelican at a Time, was published by Guardian Angel Publishing last week. All three of them took much time, thought, critiquing from my writer’s group and self-doubt right up to the end.

Never, though, during that process, did I run to the computer after having been away for an hour to look for comments or pour over stats. This realization may say something to, or perhaps, about me. Oops. There goes that narcissism word again…

The shift from creative writing to blogging/web site production may carry with it the need to be more personal, more introspective, more in tune with one’s own psyche to convey who we are to our readers and, perhaps, to define our own worthiness to ourselves. And with that may come some narcissism by task default. I certainly hope that’s what it is.

In the meantime, I’ll continue writing picture books, consult with my publisher, meet with my writing group, revise, edit, use my Thesaurus endlessly and only occasionally be deeply introspective. That is, until it’s time to write another entry for my blog. Oh, yes.

And even when it’s posted, I’ll pour over it from every angle, perhaps move a photo a centimeter or two, recheck links to be sure they’re working, read my witty words for the zillionth time and be, well, narcissistic.

Please excuse me now. I have to check my stats.

----------------------------
If you like what Nancy had to say or you're basically just a bit of a stickybeak and want to find out more about her, visit her website, www.nancystewartbooks.com Or for more soulful navel-gazing (just kidding Nancy!), check out her blog!

3 comments:

Janet Ann Collins said...

If we're called to share a message through our writing there's nothing wrong with trying to get the books to readers who can benefit from them.

Nicole weaver said...

Hi Nancy,
what a terrific post! Yes! the competitive nature of writing for children requires one to be by default a bit narcissistic. Wow you are a hoot. Love the post! Thanks for sharing.

Nicole Weaver
http://marieandherfriendtheseaturtle.blogspot.com

Jennifer Gladen said...

Great post!