Sunday 5 February 2012

Snow Stories...Fabulous Finchley

This is probably not the first snow post you will read today, nor is it likely to be the last you will stumble across particularly if you are reading anything about the UK. 

But I can't help it. I get all excited and Australian when the white stuff falls so I beg your pardon today if I seem unoriginal.

Last night's snow fall here in London has left 4-5cm of pristine whiteness over Fabulous Finchley as I discovered on opening the curtains this morning...

My snowy back garden
 ...so I quickly dressed, cleared the front path...

Not that I want to seem like a big girl or anything but this shovelling  snow sh*t is hard work!
 ...and set off to snap some of snowy Finchley.

A couple of inches covered the cars in the street - that's quite a bit of snow for Londoners. (I can hear some of my followers from colder climes scoffing about now).
I passed a few early on in my snowy shuffle that were committed to business as usual...

Determined local restaurant staff braving the elements...
...as was this mad jogger. Just silly behaviour really!
 ...but undeterred, I shuffled on until I reached my destination...


...and began to snap away.

Taken from the main gate above - I love the Narnia-esque quality of this shot (could that be Mr Tumnus up ahead?)



No tennis today...
...but plenty of action on the swings!
Families were out in force and it seemed that in every corner I beheld a flurry of activity...



There was much 'work-in progress' going on as well and even this poor pooch got caught up in the adventure of it all.

Doggone it! It looked much smaller before...
Maybe he should have paid better attention...

Helpful sign??
Anyway getting back to the action, it appeared that the park had been invaded by a few rather cool customers...

Hats off to the clever clogs who made this one!
Is it my turn on the swings yet?
Nice 'do'
Do you think this one's on the property ladder yet?
This seated cutie made me laugh out loud
Shrek in snow...love your work!
By now, all this shuffling about glove-less in the snow had developed me a yearning for a nice warming cuppa and the toasty cosiness of Gidday HQ so I headed for home...

Leaving Finchley's snowy playground
A fabulous splash of colour in the wintery day
Gorgeous architecture just around the corner
Almost home...
 ...and arrived, wide-eyed and happy and filled with that magical feeling that only a Winter Wonderland, and the anticipation of a steaming mug of hot chocolate, can bring.

Hope you find a little of your own magic this Sunday.

6 comments:

About Last Weekend said...

Yes isn't snow exciting? It makes everything look so pretty even the potholed old roads - the sign is hilarious in a macabre way...

Unknown said...

Love all the snowman snapshots! We just got back from sunny Antalya, and it has been quite a shock-- but we are hoping to make a snowman of our own later today.

Unknown said...

Thanks ALW the sign just appealed in that moment. I'd been to the park a few times but hadn't seen it til Sunday. Hmmmm....

Unknown said...

Thanks Ariana. Hope snowman construction goes well.

Charlie Wade said...

Great snowmen pics. Good to see so much effort being put into making them.

Unknown said...

Thanks Charlie. It was quite inspiring walk around and seeing all the snowy activity with everyone in the park. Glad you enjoyed the pics.