Sunday 23 September 2012

Last of the Summer Wine?

It's a rainy Sunday here at Gidday HQ.

I can hear the occasional car swish by on the wet street outside and this morning my feet slipped easily into my fleecy purple slippers, my toes sighing in toasty relief.

There are no shouts from next door's football-playing children today, confined to indoor pursuits by the inclement weather. 

And earlier this week, I bemoaned my lack of an 'extra layer' as I stood on the platform at West Hampstead station and felt the chill in the air through my jacket.

Autumn has arrived in earnest this week with its chill-blue skies and brisk damp air.

But this year, it has crept up on us all.

The trees have not heralded Autumn's arrival with their usual fiery display of foilage, confused (it has been said) by the 'poor summer' and an on-again-off-again burst of warm sunshine around the August Bank Holiday weekend. 

Last of the Summer wine?
It has tiptoed quietly in, behind darker mornings and shorter evenings, allowing us to stick our proverbial heads in the sand and pretend.

But in the dark of each workday morning this week, I have found myself automatically reaching for my 'cosier' dressing gown, where it has hung patiently all Summer, behind the bedroom door.

And after Monday's invigorating reminder, my Autumnal work coat was brushed down, readied to commence its Fall 2012 season on Tuesday. And I wore tights to work.

Most years, we accept the transition from English Summer to Autumn's embrace with a little moaning and a stiff upper lip. (After all, how else can one start a conversation with a Brit if one is not up on the mildly depressing vagaries of the weather?)

But if you listen closely, there is still a hopeful whisper of an Indian Summer, another burst of sunshine and warmth before the nights close in and mornings become crunchy with frost for good. 

So in spite of the Autumn chill, I shall leave a few lighter items in the corner of my wardrobe, still within reach yet just outside the more immediate array of cardies, polo necks and mid-season jackets that I suspect will be needed in the coming weeks.

And socks. Yes, I think socks will become a constant at Gidday HQ from now on as well.

New Tesco socks - ready to go

So could someone please explain to me why I spent an hour yesterday painting my toe-nails?

2 comments:

Jack Scott said...

Alas, severe weather warnings today herald the start of a vengeful Autumn.

Unknown said...

I don't like venge - I want it to stop! :-(