Sunday 15 July 2012

Gidday Soiree...A Hat Trick Of Birthdays

The inaugural Gidday soiree is done. My guests have left replete with good food, an indiscriminate amount of wine and feisty yet flowing conversation.

Le outdoor setting (or patio furniture as my American compatriate at work calls it) did me proud and the skies, while not exactly blue and sunshine-y, kept to themselves with not a drop of rain falling. That's a minor miracle in itself given the past few weeks.

(Although as I woke this morning after yesterday's intermittent and torrential rain, I do believe I closed my eyes and whispered 'oh please just let it be dry!' Maybe someone was listening.)

It has inspired me to do more of this. I have to say that I rather enjoyed having visitors to fuss over, deliberating over the menu during the week prior to strike the balance of both the 'right' quantity and trying out some new things.

(There was a chilli, cheese and corn loaf and some savoury rolls - basically a soft cheese mixture and some other ingredients wrapped in pita bread, chilled overnight and sliced - which were both newcomers to the party.)


It was also an opportunity to use my 'stuff'. You know the stuff I mean. You have some of this yourself. For me it was my Oma's crockery, my Mum's tea set (for the coffee) and, being a cup short, even a lone Royal Doulton cup and saucer for the fifth of our party.

Having the room at the new Gidday HQ for all of this to have been unpacked from the boxes that were their home for 6 and a half years is absolutely brilliant. Now it's all just an arms reach away on the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard.

I'm extremely proud to say that the only thing not Gidday-Made was the chocolate cake, collected from the local Polish store round the corner this morning, to celebrate our three birthdays.

Which brings me neatly to a reminder that there are only 17 sleeps to go until my big day. Celebrations may have started today at Gidday HQ but this doesn't mean you're off the hook peeps.

Not by a long shot!

No comments: