Sunday 3 April 2011

Mothers...People To Make Leaning Unnecessary

Here we are at Mother's Day Number One for 2011 and while for me (and probably lots of other Aussie and Yankee expats) the REAL Mother's Day will be in May, honouring my fabulous Mum twice is certainly no chore!

American writer Dorothy Canfield Fisher wrote:

A mother is not a person to lean on but a person to make leaning unnecessary.

and this sums up my Mum for me.  In fact so much so that now I'm all grown up, I've had to be reminded quite recently that a little leaning on my part is actually quite a restorative thing and good for the soul - by none other than Mum herself (still so wise, right?)

So I wanted to honour this feeling and after some digging around, found this perfect quote (courtesy of a sentimental yet anonymous soul):
  
When you're a child she walks before you,
To set an example.

When you're a teenager she walks behind you
To be there should you need her.

When you're an adult she walks beside you
So that as two friends you can enjoy life together.


Happy Mother's Day...

3 comments:

Janet said...

That's a lovely post. To me, as an American expat in the UK, Mother's Day is also in May. But I took some time to stop today and think of my mother, who died in 2001.

And thanks for coming by Lord Celery, too.

Janet

Matthew Rees said...

It's actually called Mothering Sunday but, that aside, I love the photo - Mum and baby both look so happy.

Unknown said...

Janet, I'm glad you liked the post :)

Matthew, we were...and still are...happy :D