Saturday 16 April 2011

Who's Gonna Drive You Home?

Last August, I relinquished a part of my life that I was inordinately attached to...my car.  Apart from working in London and using this city's quite amazing PT system every day, financial pressures meant that it was time to let it go.  And so it was with a heavy heart that I handed over the keys and began the daily face-off with my vacant off-street parking space.

It was inconvenient at first but I soon discovered a joy in being able to experience the world rather than it whizz by un-noticed.  For the most part, being out in the weather was invigorating: crunching through the snow, smelling the rain, feeling the sun on my face and breathing in the elements.  After a few months, my knees ached less and my legs took on a much greater supporting role as my body changed shape and my fitness improved - recently I even found myself trotting spiritedly up the steps to the train platform.  And if you read this blog regularly you'll know that commuting allows me to indulge in one of my favourite things to do every day - read.  You can't do that in the car!

But the biggest delight has been keeping quietly to itself and waiting for Spring to arrive and now its here, I find myself inspired by blue skies, green fields and the awakening trees that makes England's prettiest time of year...well, really pretty...

I was walking home from the train station when I was struck by this beauty

And this tree is about to burst into bloom

Then I was walking to Kingston today and noticed this gorgeous wisteria draping itself possessively over a number of houses in the street...


And so, still feeling inspired after a visit to the Oxfam bookshop to top up my commuting bookshelf, a bout of fruit and veg shopping at the Market Square and a leisurely toastie and soya cappuccino at a local cafe, I bought myself a little flowery inspiration...

...say hi to Gerry the Geranium!


Gerry is one of a pair (the other is Gerri with an 'i') and tomorrow we will find the perfect pot (and indeed the perfect spot) for the two of them to bring a little touch of Spring to Chez Hamer.

1 comment:

Linda A. said...

Funny how the budding trees and blossoming flowers awaken the spring in all of us. I'm no green thumb, but I love gazing at my tulips nonetheless.